Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Light anomie, brainfart on polyphasic resources

I feel off today. Not sleepy, not bored, just a bit apathetic.

Around 2 p.m. and right now, I could feel a vague desire to nap, but I know it's just a decoy. Maybe I'll nap at 11 p.m.

I don't know if this morning was a quirk, caused by my schedule yesterday, or something ingrained in my sleep center. I think the former, given my ability to do things between the naps. Maybe I just didn't have enough to do.

The adjustment phase usually continues for 2 weeks, so I should be able to continue tweaking things and noticing the effects of changes I make.

Perhaps the biggest obstacle to entering a polyphasic schedule is that there is no bug database. There is damned little documentation. When I install Arch, I can look up the most esoteric bugs, find people submitting patches for tiny quirks, submit my own bug reports, and browse seemingly endless guides on getting things set up right. Yet for hacking the human operating system, there is no analogous source. I can't look up a central place to find out the statistically most probable effects of doing X, Y, and Z, followed by precise advice on minimizing those effects.

Normally in this case a wiki would be the solution. But there is already a polyphasic wiki, and that seems to contain little data and links to long-dead blogs.

Well. If there's no FogBugz or Github for polyphasic sleep, I guess I'll have to hack one of my own.

The features should be simple:

1. Projects. It should be easy to submit your own announcement of entering polyphasic sleep, with links to your blog and the resources you are following.

2 Forking. Users should be able to fork existing projects. Bob Foo might really like the way Jane Bar is trying polyphasic sleep, so he should be able to easily fork her attempt and submit the diffs.

3. Bug database. Users should be able to submit replicable steps for producing bugs. No "I couldn't take a nap on schedule," but instead a list of activities they did prior to the bug, the details of the project they're following, etc. When I experience a bug in Xorg, I can instantly find out other users experiencing my exact same bug. This should also be possible for polyphasic sleep.

4. Community incentives. Badges, karma, voting, collaborative wiki howto's, irc channels, etc. Anything but the current state of affairs, which is a few uncoordinated sites with little concrete information and a Freenode channel seemingly tacked on. If it works for getting people to commit frequently, getting people to offer quality advice, and for getting people to filter informative hacker news, it will definitely work for establishing a committed community of polyphasers.

I'm thinking of thus forking Tricycle's Less Wrong repo as the best platform for this. It has everything needed except for an integrated bug database, which can be hacked out of the community wiki framework.

No comments:

Post a Comment