Friday, June 4, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep: Day 2

I found that allocating about 15 minutes before a nap to meditation helps, and doesn't seem to risk waking during deeper sleep. I woke from my afternoon nap feeling pretty good, and still feel energetic.

This actually isn't that hard. The biggest problem I seem to be having is that late-morning tiredness that leads me to take a cluster of naps. I'd rather those naps be dispersed. This may simply be because I've purposely shifted a nap downwards, and moved another upwards, to accommodate work. Steve Pavlina mentioned repeatedly that his maximum, with coffee, was about 8 hours apart, and it screwed up his schedule in much the same way.

Interestingly, he also described the ease with which he returned to monophasic sleep. He wondered how easily one could switch between phases after initially de-anchoring one's cycle. I may try on alternate days shifting my naps a few hours. This  can either completely destabilize my cycle, or loosen it to allow for greater flexibility.

I'll try that experiment after week 2, I think.

Update: my cat ruined my 23:00 nap by screaming at and headbutting me the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment