Thursday, June 3, 2010

Steve Pavlina

I'm reading Steve Pavlina's log entries on his 5.5 month experiment with polyphasic sleep. Very good advice, as he seems to have spent a lot of time researching the attempts of others.

I note that he immediately began fiddling with extra naps, varied schedules, etc. And, he started while he had pretty much no constraints such as having to show up at work on time.

One thing I'm getting from him, so far, is that it seems a bit more involved than telling your body, "you're getting enough sleep each 24 hours. Who cares how I give it to you?"

I've got (let me check kalarm) about 20 minutes til my next nap. I'll spend that time reading more of his entries.

Although Piotr Wozniak gives a really strong impression of Gene Ray, I do get disturbed by his argument that most polyphasic bloggers descend into describing mindless physical activities and content consumption rather than the productive work hoped for.

Taking a page from Oscar, I'm going to limit my internet procrastination to 4 pomodoros a day. One hour during the wee morning is more than enough to read everything interesting on HN; around this time of night I always find that I've followed every link and read every interesting discussion. The remaining time ought to be enough to check up on some blogs, etc. Luckily I hate humans, so I don't have to desperately figure out how to still an addiction to Facebook and Twitter and all the other ways people waste time trying to communicate. This is a blog: you get what I type when I decide to post. Also, I don't watch TV. Or play video games.

My only non-work activities are reading, reading HN, studying code, and hacking. Granted, I could spend less time reading code and more time reading human language, but that's still a damn sight better than vegetating in front of a sitcom.

So I should be safe from the lure of consuming idiocy just to pass time. As for physical activity: what am I going to do, take up Extreme Sneezing?

No comments:

Post a Comment