Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep: Day 13 thoughts

Since I started counting at zero, this is 2 weeks into my experiment.

I've been having far fewer nap clusters, but it's still annoying to not have 4 full cycles of non-zombie mode.

The zombie on my back is getting lighter, but not fast enough. This is probably due to that skipped nap each day.

On the bright side: even zombie mode for a few hours is a better use of my time than hibernating. At least in zombie mode you can take notes on what you should do, save bookmarks of things you intend to read when alert, etc. You might not be able to study efficiently in zombie mode, but you can damn well note where you're having difficulties. Trust me: you know you have learned something when you still understand it in zombie mode.

I don't know if I want to continue my nap schedule, "reboot" monophasically to start from a blank slate for the next two weeks, or modify my schedule to become somewhat free-running. The first appeals to me, but I think I could improve things. The second makes some kind of sense, but I don't know if it will have the effect I want. The third is, currently, the most attractive.

If I do switch to a looser free-napping schedule, I'll still want to maintain my cyclical activities. I'd like them punctuated by naps, but having a nap mid-reading doesn't seem very harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment