Thursday, June 17, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep: Day 14

I'm going to try out free-running naps for this next week.

I think my schedule will remain about the same, with me getting sleepy in 4 to 6 hour intervals. It might shift a bit, but I know I'm able to skip naps and extend cycles if I do it carefully.

I'll also try to consistently wake before the alarm. One way that seems to work is to drink coffee immediately before a nap. In about 25 minutes the caffeine hits your bloodstream, making it hard to fall back to sleep or into deeper sleep. Not only that, but it boosts your alertness until it is metabolized about 4 hours later: just in time for your next nap. So far this has worked pretty well, and lets me continue drinking coffee. As long as it's before a nap, in 4-6 hour intervals, and less than about 6 cups at a time, it can do no harm.

Another thing I'm going to experiment with is my recently heightened lucidity in dreams. I really want to see if I can pick up a dream from the nap before.

Oh, and long term memory conversion. I'm going to experiment and try to find out whether a nap accomplishes the same "ingraining" of memory as a full sleep. From most accounts, it does. But is there a sweet spot of time before a nap where what you learn is most easily stored in ROM? That would be very cool to know.

lo do kerlo ba melbi nenri lo mi kerlo baktu

No comments:

Post a Comment