Friday, June 11, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep: Day 8ish

Gah.

Around 7 p.m. I began feeling incredibly shitty. Woozy, groggy, aimless. My sleep center was asking me why I wasn't taking a nap. Then gently poking me in the eyeballs. The pre-work nap + caffeine apparently didn't help.

When I got home, I took my scheduled 11 p.m. nap. And had a grand goddamn lucid dream. Woke up still feeling like toasted shit. Read for a bit, then took my compensatory mid-cycle nap. The lucid dream resumed. Woke up remembering it, but feeling almost as shitty as I did around 7.

All I was good for in those hours was reading NAND playing with my cat. Anything else threw an exception.

My 3 a.m. nap was disappointing, I couldn't continue the lucid dream. I woke up still feeling like crap.

This "crap" feeling I keep referring to is complex. It's more than just feeling groggy and incapable and exhausted. It's almost, in fact, exactly how my computer would feel if I booted into Fallback Mode: technically godlike powers but little to no multitasking, no real compartmentalizations, and no GUI.

It's very much a sense that you're operating in a temporary, restricted, protective limbo. You don't feel the urge to just lay down and take a nap. Yet you also don't feel the urge to do anything except what you're already doing. There's an odd, jangly abrupt flow to the world, jarring in the discontinuities. It's like going from GNU Screen back to a single shell and not being able to & a process.

No comments:

Post a Comment