Monday, June 14, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep: Day 11

After the weirdness of the last few days, today was pretty boring regarding sleep.

I ran through a bunch of smart.fm lessons, got reminded of Endgame:Singularity and began playing it a bit, and noticed an odd integer overflow bug in the cash display that I'm going to find and fix.

I felt lucid and pretty normal the entire day. I did shift my naps about an hour back, for no good reason but that I wanted to sync with some Aussies and Italians in an irc channel.

My 8pm nap was odd. Really, really odd. I had an elaborate dream that felt like hours going by. I couldn't believe it when my alarm went off- "I must have overslept. What the hell."

A thing to note: I found a Time article on Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion schedule. It turns out his method was to simply nap when he got tired. It just happened to work out that he got tired in 6 hour intervals. This makes me wonder if later generations seized voodoo-like on the intervals, rather than the logic behind them. Six hours was as long as Fuller could go before getting tired and sloppy; there's nothing magical about that number.

Maybe focusing more on the schedule than the reason for it, is the reason why so many polyphasers have failed. I'll have to study their blogs and see if there's a correlation between success (however temporary), and free Fuller-style napping.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like he did his own version of free running sleep

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-running_sleep

    ReplyDelete