Thursday, June 3, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep: Day 1

Usually I have lots of coffee a day. Between today and yesterday, I had only one cup, before going to work today, where I wouldn't have an opportunity to take a nap for over 8 hours.

I felt surprisingly energetic between 15:00 and 22:00. No trace of drowsiness or clumsiness.

I'm about to take a nap in a few minutes, and continue this post.

Back, with disappointing news. I couldn't sleep at all. I just laid there with my eyes shut for half an hour. Now I'll have to wait til either I feel sleepy, or 3:00 a.m.

The big problem I'm having is not sleepiness, but insomnia. Since Day 0, I have had only three naps where I actually fell fully asleep and woke remembering dreams. So, I've had only maybe one hour of sleep in the past two days. And those naps were the cluster I had around noon today, after being awake over 24 hours.

I wonder if I should just stay awake until I actually feel sleepy. I don't know how much "training" of my sleep schedule I'm getting by laying down with my eyes closed for half an hour.

On the other hand, the only time in the past 48 hours I've slept, have been when I actually felt sleepy. And it appears one hour was all that was needed after more than a day of being awake.

If I'm not tired by 3:00 a.m., I'll skip the nap and wait til the 7:00 a.m. nap. I have a feeling, though, that I won't actually fall asleep til 11:00 a.m., and will again have a cluster of 2 or 3 naps in the few hours before going to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment